ENGINEERINGATLANTA.BLOGSPOT.COM

A blog all about recording and mixing.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Classic ATL Slimm Cutta Calhoun's "The Skinny"


Slimm Cutta Calhoun's "The Skinny" was released on Nov. 7th 2000 and to me and my friends and many others was an instant classic. Another Organized Noize Production Slimm was signed to Outkasts Aquemini Label before it disbanded some years later. This is when these dudes were serious about putting out acts still, this too me was one of if not their best effort from that out print. I remember riding around to this joint forever just beating this shit till i played it out. I know yall remember "It's Ok" with Andre 3k when he was still in his Badu days wearing the big bug eye'd shades and the pitched up voice. One of the weirdest video cameo's by far, this niggas dressed up like a worm or something from Alice in Wonderland, but whatever its still Dre ripping verses as usual.




Then theres my favorite, "The Cut Song". His second single from the album became an instant anthem, I know niggas was trying to get buns with this joint here lol. It really had niggas saying they was getting some cutty, or trying to cut something, all over the place. I remember one of my teachers heard us talking about getting some cut and thought we was talking about stabbing someone lol. By this time my parents had taken new jobs and we moved to Kansas City. Niggas out there were even saying it and running with it.



I love his album, joints like "Red Clay" "Dirt Work" and "Worldly Ways" all sound like joints that could have easily made a Kast album. I feel like this is a quiet classic like not alot of people even really remember him putting out an album but they know the singles. Its a great album, its got the features you would expect from a dungeon family memeber and the production team that made endless classics. Im not to sure what hes up to now, I actually see him around the A every once and a while just chilling out and about. Heres his myspace doesnt really say much about what hes up too lately but im sure hes still working on material. You can also get His album "The Skinny" on itunes For 9.99 which is cheaper than what it is in stores and its a classic.


www.myspace.com/slimmcalhoun

0 comments:

Back to TOP