ENGINEERINGATLANTA.BLOGSPOT.COM

A blog all about recording and mixing.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tools of the trade.


A quick glimpse into all of the added features in Protools 8. I personally havent had alot of face time with it yet, but the things Ive seen so far have been really cool. I really like the look of it, even though its clearly looking more and more like logic, I think its in light of all the new users apple has acquired with Logic the last couple of years, mainly with producers. Digidesign certainly has stepped up there game in relation to music production, but I dont see them making a dent in that logic armour quite yet. With many of its new features aimed towards producers, with all the midi editing functions and added software instruments, it should have a couple of guys thinking twice about using it as more of a production tool. Even us engineers should be excited, added tracks in LE versions, its making workflow a breeze. With added playlist views, elastic pitch, and also being able to comp vocals even faster than before, it has me ready to cop and upgrade from 7.4 already. Here is a nice lil tutorial vid on some of the features mentioned above and more.This version is definately all about the customization and look.




Here's another vid I found while researching the new version, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park explains how hes using the new features in his production and recording techniques with his band as they record new material for their upcoming album. Very cool vid, Mike is simply an amazing Producer/Engineer.

5 comments:

T February 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

its starting to look more like Logic to me, which is a good change of pace. I hope working with midi is better

J February 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

i dont really use midi at all but i might now just to see what its like. It looks just like logic, but better.

beatboyclub February 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

yea they realli wanna take us away from logic but they need to come harder.lol the instrument pugins that comes with Protools 8 is alil on the wack side .its a great upgrade but not when logic pro 8 is in the room.lol

J February 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

I feel that, i think that any stock vst's are gonna be wack though, the ones with logic arent all that either. its a step in the right direction though. They got a strangle hold on the recording and mixing aspect. i sound like im endorsed by digi lol

Miles Walker March 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM  

True that J....ain't no time soon logic will OUT DO Protools as an audio platform, but I agree with everyone that logic is superior for MIDI editing and sequencing. I do love me some PT HD 8 though....I've been riding it out, and cannot go back. If anybody has any specific questions or wants to see screen shots, hit me up.

Back to TOP